Navigating parcel shipping rates can be a headache for businesses operating in the e-commerce landscape. With seasonal shipping rate variations and surge pricing around the holidays, planning for shipping costs in your business model can feel like a moving target.
This is why UPS Simple Rate is such a powerful tool for any delivery-oriented business. Simple Rate offers stability and predictability so you never have to worry about factoring in price fluctuations into your financial plan.
Introduction to UPS Simple Rate
UPS Simple Rate is UPS’ most recent offering in the increasingly popular flat rate service category of shipping solutions.
UPS Simple Rate offers predictable pricing based on package size. But there are a few more advantages beyond predictability. UPS Simple Rate gives businesses the option of additional shipping cost savings, as well as the ability to use branded boxes to create a more engaging customer experience at the delivery touchpoint.
Understanding the UPS Simple Rate Structure
UPS Simple Rate offers senders a predictable flat UPS rate based on the size of the parcel. The size categories, along with their starting rates, are as follows:
- Extra small – Extra small packages are between 1 and 100 cubic inches in volume and start at $10.20. This size is optimal for small deliveries like sunglasses or phone accessories.
- Small – Small packages are between 101 and 250 cubic inches in volume, with a starting rate of $13.35. This size covers medium-sized items like hardcover books, candles, or smaller toys.
- Medium – Medium packages measure from 251 to 650 cubic inches and start from $16.05. This is the box size you’d likely use for shoes or larger books.
- Large – Large packages are between 651 and 1,050 cubic inches in volume. The starting rate for a large package is $21.05. You’d use a large box for items like laptops.
- Extra large – The extra large size option is what makes UPS Simple Rate unique among flat rate competitors. This size measures from 1,051 to 1,728 cubic inches for $26.05. This is the largest size available for shipping at a flat rate in the United States. This size is ideal for items like sports equipment or larger electronics, like monitors.
Different Packaging Choices
UPS Simple Rate offers a huge bonus: you can use your own custom or branded packaging. There is no need to package your delivery in a standard UPS parcel, though that is an option. This flexibility in packaging offers unparalleled branding opportunities at a reasonable price.
Included Delivery Services
Rates vary based on your desired shipping delivery speed. You can schedule your package to arrive in either five days, three business days, on the second day, or on the next day. UPS Ground, the five-day option, is the most affordable option, but is only available within the 48 contiguous states. The other air delivery options are more expensive but may suit your business needs more than UPS Ground.
Benefits of UPS Simple Rate
UPS Simple rate has a number of benefits when compared to other carriers and other UPS pricing structures.
- Cost savings – This is one of the most affordable shipping solutions available. For an extra small package using UPS Ground delivery, you may pay as little as $10.20. Even as the rates scale up, choosing UPS Simple Rate will often be a more viable cost-saving option.
- Predictable pricing – Generally, UPS Simple Rate pricing is not subject to price fluctuations, so if you know your package’s size, package weight, and desired delivery date, you can rest assured that you will also know the price of shipping. For businesses, this simplifies the process of calculating shipping expenses.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Implementing UPS Simple Rate
Whether for the predictability, the affordability, or the branding opportunity, you’ve decided that UPS Simple Rate is the right shipping solution for your business. Here’s how to get started:
- Register for a UPS Account: This is not absolutely necessary as you can send UPS Simple Rate packages without an account, but being registered for a UPS account allows you to track your package and contact customer service more easily.
- Access the UPS Simple Rate Tool: The online UPS Simple Rate tool streamlines the process of shipping your package. Here you will be able to select your parcel’s size and desired date of delivery.
- Select the Right Packaging: Flexibility and simplification of packaging is some of UPS Simple Rate’s biggest appeals. Take advantage of the opportunity to utilize branded packaging to make sure
- Enter Package Details and Destination: The tool will ask for the package’s dimensions and weight, as well as the destination for the purpose of pricing.
- Review and Confirm the Rate: Make sure the final package matches the criteria you’ve selected in the online tool.
Ship Simply with Lojistic
Partner with Lojistic to simplify your shipping operations and maximize cost savings. Our experienced team offers specialized services:
- Parcel Audit: We meticulously review your shipping invoices to identify errors and overcharges, ensuring you only pay for services used.
- Shipping Reporting: Gain insights into your shipping data to optimize strategies and make data-driven decisions.
- Shipping Analytics: Delve deep into data to uncover trends, cost-saving opportunities, and enhance efficiency.
- Shipping Refund Recovery: We secure refunds for service failures and overcharges from carriers like UPS, FedEx, and DHL.
- Parcel Payment: Simplify invoice management and cost allocation for improved financial clarity.
Director of Parcel Rate Services
Prior to his role at Lojistic, Matt held significant positions in the industry, including his tenure as Senior Pricing Advisor at FedEx. Matt analyzed pricing programs and wrote pricing contracts for some of FedEx’s largest e-commerce and retail shippers. He also managed projects for the FedEx Global Pricing Approval Systems and Strategic Account Executive Inputs.
Matt earned a BS in Computer Engineering and an MBA in Finance from the Joseph M. Katz School of Business at the University of Pittsburgh.